About Me

My photo
Deborah K. Hanula has a year of Journalism training from Humber College, a Political Science degree from the University of Waterloo, and a Law degree from the University of British Columbia. In addition, she has Diplomas in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Child Psychology, and Psychotherapy and Counselling as well as a Family Life Educator and Coach Certificate and Certificates in Reflexology, Assertiveness Training, and Mindfulness Meditation. She is the author of five cookbooks, primarily concerned with gluten-free and dairy-free diets, although one pertains to chocolate. As an adult, in the past she worked primarily as a lawyer, but also as a university and college lecturer, a tutor, editor, writer, counsellor, researcher and piano teacher. She enjoys a multi-faceted approach when it comes to life, work and study, in order to keep things fresh and interesting. Check out her new book: A Murder of Crows & Other Poems (2023).

Saturday, November 12, 2011

The HSP - the Highly Sensitive/Perceptive Person

HSP stands for highly sensitive/perceptive person.  An HSP is someone whose brain and nervous system is 'wired' in a way that makes them more sensitive. This means that they are acutely aware of, attuned to, and affected by their environment, other people, and things going on within themselves. It can further be characterized as sensitivity to both internal and external stimuli, including social, emotional and physical cues: they are more emotionally and physically reactive.  Because they process cues, signals and other information more thoroughly than others, they become easily overwhelmed, experience more stress, startle easily, and are keenly aware of, and affected by, changes in their environment - even subtle ones - like energy, light, noise, smell, texture and temperature.

This sensory processing sensitivity is a basic, heritable, personality trait or temperament. It is not a pathology. It has evolved as a particular survival strategy for approximately 15 to 20 percent of individuals that differs from that of the majority of other people.  It is an inborn trait, noticeable at birth through observational studies of how infants respond to their environment and to other people. It has also been observed throughout the animal kingdom.

Approximately 30 percent of HSPs are extroverts; most, however, are introverts.  They all tend to be introspective, have rich inner lives, depth of thought, lean toward perfectionism, and require plenty of time alone in order to relax and replenish.  Social gatherings can leave them tense, exhausted, or highly aroused with difficulty falling asleep afterward.  They tend to not relax well in group activities such as a yoga class or other type of exercise class.  These types of classes which may promote relaxation and calmness in other people, can have the opposite effect on HSPs who relax better exercising alone. Even extroverted HSPs need time alone to replenish energy after periods of high intensity for them: after meetings, concerts, parties and social gatherings.

HSPs are easily disturbed, distressed or thrown into disarray by changes and don't enjoy living  situations which lack stability.  Constant upheaval (for instance, when a spouse travels frequently for business purposes) is overwhelming and upsetting.  And, because the nervous system of an HSP is so easily kicked into high gear, or affected profoundly, by things such as startling or loud sounds (like a firecracker going off or a rock concert), hormonal fluctuations, stimulating foods, spices and beverages, social interactions, strong scents or smells, bright lights, or temperature changes, they may often experience difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep.  They may also experience physical symptoms such as digestive disturbances, food allergies and intolerances, or nervous system effects such as tension, heart arrythmias or headaches more easily from foods/beverages/circumstances that others can easily tolerate. They may have trouble tolerating medications/alternative remedies that others easily tolerate. Violent or horrific images are extremely disturbing and these images can stay with the HSP for several days, if not longer.

Being an HSP is not a psychological disorder, but can certainly lead to one as a result of life experiences and ongoing stressors. All types of anxieties, neuroses, and depressions can develop as HSPs find it harder and harder to cope in an environment that doesn't suit their needs.  They may experience high levels of stress and find it hard to deal with, or cope with, situations that they find too stressful.  Generally speaking, they are misunderstood by others, seen as weak and vulnerable, and as children - even as adults - may be bullied, ridiculed or made fun of.  But, having a high-functioning, easily-aroused, sensitive nervous system is a physical trait which a person has no control over - and did not choose, but was born with - just like the colour of one's skin, hair or eyes.

Because of how their brains and nervous systems are wired, HSPs may experience life as fraught with types of difficulty and upset that other ‘average’ people have a hard time understanding or experiencing.  If expected to function in an environment  that doesn’t allow them to have what they need in order to grow and prosper, they will most likely deteriorate both physically and emotionally/mentally and conditions such as anxiety and depression may very well be the result.  If they are repeatedly told that they are too sensitive, that they shouldn’t feel the way they do, shouldn’t need what they do, shouldn’t ask for what they need in order to be successful individuals, and told that they should be different than they are and better able to cope with all that is thrown at them, then they will deteriorate.

Western societies/cultures do not value sensitive people. HSPs tend to be highly intelligent, talented, and gifted individuals. Telling an HSP to “just get over it” or exasperatedly asking them why they are so sensitive, or laughing at them while expecting them to develop a thicker skin is damaging and futile because they can’t change their wiring. Instead, imagine the courage/fortitude it takes for them to continue living, coping and thriving.  If they are treated with love and understanding as children (and also as adults) they will cope and thrive.  Otherwise, their sensitivity can take a more pathological turn towards neuroses and could develop into a psychological disorder such as generalized anxiety, social anxiety, or depression.   

HSPs are at higher risk of developing depression and anxiety than is the general population.  HSPs tend toward loneliness and social isolation if they feel unaccepted and misunderstood, and also because they become easily stressed and require more alone time (remember most have more traits of the introvert than of the extrovert).  It can be hard for them to arrange social engagements in order to maintain friendships. While they may strongly desire social interactions and relationships, they may have a hard time sustaining them as others fail to understand them and they suffer easily from fatigue, stress and exhaustion, especially as they get older.  If they do not live in a stable environment, it makes it even harder for them to plan social engagements and to maintain friendships.  And, if they start to lose confidence they will withdraw, becoming more isolated, lonely, depressed and anxious.

Having written all of the above, it is important to note that HSPs usually do make sensitive and caring friends - noticing the energy and emotions of others. They are conscientious, exhibit high levels of intelligence, talent, skill, focus, perception, passion, intensity, depth, compassion and empathy. They are highly creative and attuned to the environment, as well as being great lovers of the arts, often noticing subtleties and hues missed by others.  They are especially attracted to professions which require high levels of creativity. 

D.

27 comments:

  1. Thanks for this. I'm a highly sensitive/perceptive person and people just can't seem to understand or accept it. When I notice things others don't, which is frequently, it means I am "critical". Desiring to spend more time alone than socializing means I have "social anxiety". And I am really sensitive about people trying to tell me not to be myself somehow or saying disrespectful, gaslighting comments to me. It's nice to know someone out there "gets it".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way. And I'm going through the same thing. I just tried to explain to my aunt that I understand more because I'm extremely perceptive but she just yelled at me and told me that I'm only 18 and she knows more than I do because she's been in the world longer but I believe I know so much more. This has really helped me accept who I am. Do you know if there are any good books on this?

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I sincerely hope that you have at least one supportive individual in your life - someone who "gets it".

      Delete
    2. Hi Deborah... Until I read this, I had no idea as to what was happening to me. This has given me a lot more understanding about myself and now I know what sort of things to research. Thank you very much, this has been a major boost for me.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this. I couldn't understand what was "wrong" with me, or why I always noticed things others didn't. I'm considered critical and misunderstood often. I stress easily and become nervous. I have developed general anxiety from my HSP. But I'm really glad to read this

    ReplyDelete
  5. im glad i read this, to know someone out there feels all the life around them :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello from South Africa, I, for most of my life, have felt that I am too sensitive for this generally harsh world I find myself living in. I have allocated much more time during my life, than I guess the average human being does, sleeping. Through this and other factors I had neglected building a career for myself and now at the age of 52 I find myself in poverty.
    My country South Africa is in a terrible state, it is said that SA is the 'murder capital' of the world. by general consensus we are heading for and is close to and all out Genocide, I fear.
    I believe that as a young child I already knew what was the fate of SA to be and have been quietly living in fear of what is unfolding in our society presently.
    I ask of all who believe and pray to God to please do so for South Africa at this time, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Martin

      I have experienced all that you had here in the USA. I am a very perceptive person and often misunderstood. As a result, I have neglected my life, too. But you know what, I will finish my first undergraduate degree in December. I finally, in the last three years, managed to take control of my life, despite my environment. I hope we can correspond. I want to have friends who are like me. My email is: lerner.rosita@gmail.com Drop me a line.

      Delete
  8. I wish I'd have learned of this earlier in life (I'm 54). Interestingly, my daughter clued me in on what an introvert is about 5 years ago. From there I discovered the concept of HSP. I doubt my life would have been dramatically different. I believe that people, if fortunate, follow a natural path that fits their skill set. It would, however, have been nice to know earlier in life why I'm the way I am.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This made me cry. Thank you. A wonderful article. I always felt like I had some sixth sense or something. At the age of 6 I would cry and get very emotional when I saw someone being mistreated or had a missing limb. Always told I was too sensitive. I only wish I had known this sooner. I would have worked harder at releasing stress and maybe would have not pushed myself the way I did. I would have liked to have shown this article to my parents who have recently passed. I loved them dearly but my parents never really got it. To that generation you were just too sensitive and you better toughen up. It's true the world throws a lot at you but maybe I would have handled it differently. I always knew there was something wrong with me. But something I had to overcome. At 57, I am exhausted. I have been successful as an investigative journalist and a former private investigator, but it took it's toll. I ventured into a man's world because I was told to toughen up so I pushed myself. I put up such a front. I have retired early because of the anxiety and not being able to focus. Yoga at home alone is much more relaxing. I have 2 wonderful children who are adults now and they too are HSP. I'm learning to relax more and I hope both my kids will follow suit. Sometimes you have to work at shutting the brain down. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This made me cry. Thank you. A wonderful article. I always felt like I had some sixth sense or something. At the age of 6 I would cry and get very emotional when I saw someone being mistreated or had a missing limb. Always told I was too sensitive. I only wish I had known this sooner. I would have worked harder at releasing stress and maybe would have not pushed myself the way I did. I would have liked to have shown this article to my parents who have recently passed. I loved them dearly but my parents never really got it. To that generation you were just too sensitive and you better toughen up. It's true the world throws a lot at you but maybe I would have handled it differently. I always knew there was something wrong with me. But something I had to overcome. At 57, I am exhausted. I have been successful as an investigative journalist and a former private investigator, but it took it's toll. I ventured into a man's world because I was told to toughen up so I pushed myself. I put up such a front. I have retired early because of the anxiety and not being able to focus. Yoga at home alone is much more relaxing. I have 2 wonderful children who are adults now and they too are HSP. I'm learning to relax more and I hope both my kids will follow suit. Sometimes you have to work at shutting the brain down. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reading this had several mixed emotions flooding over me. Regret that I wish I knew this and understood my son sooner, guilt that I was not handling my son's personality and behaviour ideally as I should have been, and yet I am also extremely hopeful and inspired now, having been articulated on the manifestations of this kind of personality.

    Thank you for the insightful and intelligent article.

    Best, Aileen

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great article! Describes me perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Since being a HSP is not a psychological disorder, or even recognized professionally, if I were to see a psychologist or psychiatrist.. wouldn't they just pick apart what makes someone a HSP, and give them multiple different diagnoses instead? Being a, "HSP" is just a self diagnosis, and self diagnosing is never good. So.. what is the point of callings one's self a HSP? I would say that I could be one, but who would even confirm that for me, if it's not a diagnosis?

    ReplyDelete
  15. What kind of careers do HSPs thrive in? I did read the part about how they are usually very creative. But could you explain more in depth?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  16. I found this highly representing me while reading it and I was crying doing so.. I was always searching and trying to learn about myself and I never found something that describes me so well as this article from A to Z.. I always felt like these traits you just described in me or what you can call an HSP person are so disfunctional.. I am going through some trauma rn emotionally and mentally as to the environment changes I have gone through, people around me don't understand that I need to rest, it's constantly feels like chaos around me and it makes me feel how stupid people around me are.. they are so all over the place. I am expected to do alot of things that I am not ready for. I have not been sleeping well lately and I feel extremely exhausted Because of it.. I am 17 and I am feeling 45 already. I can't afford a psychologist thats smart enough to work with. In our society the weak dies. And I feel like dying will make me able to rest, I have been living hell for so long that i can't live much more

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow that all i can say this is me i thought i was broken I am not. Just wired differently wow I am 57 I been a nurse for all my working life. I cry at the drop of a hat. I was picked on most of my life been to many therapist to help me . Nothing helped I been praying to stop crying. and then God showed me this article. my sister tell every one i have emotional problems . But now i know the truth . thank you for this article

    ReplyDelete
  18. Being this way makes me want to kill myself sometimes but im anxious about the future so i dont. Not sure when i'll completely give up. Hopefully never. Lifes fucking weird:/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Being this way makes me want to kill myself sometimes but im anxious about the future so i dont. Not sure when i'll completely give up. Hopefully never. Lifes fucking weird:/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank it gives me peace that I have all of these signs I thought I am mad mental disorder issue but reading this I think I am normal

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. the inner unity of the sentient . the I - cosmic - consciousness writes it down, as it rises from within... field rooms instead of ""dimensions"
    i have just to know my self. nothing more and nothing less.
    nothing divides me against myself. nothing conquers me and steals my soul. nothing fools me and no fame and status and lies seduces me. i belong to me. in - divid - ual.
    i read books loudly to myself. i am my own e-book. i can make fun with myself. i speak loudly with myself and comment my speech. i am highly honest with myself. who can be highly honest with others ? they want that i lie to them according to mistaken lifenotions and i have to not to disturb their comfort in lies...
    i live mostly naked in my apartment. clothings nerve me.
    i detest engine noise and never gained driver license. never participated in world seductions hustle and bustle and jostle.
    indestructible. healthy egoism is not evil. pure heart pierces the veils of everything. does not matter what comes through the door.
    fierce glaring character protection. nothing can pierce through my antimatterial character protection shield. my self even talks loudly to my inner child (the core of the self). the leprechauns and the poltergeists of incorruptibility love me. i talk to animals and flowers and minerals and water and to the stars and the sun and the earth and the galactic center... ... and all visible and invisible. i give you forbidden. shi**i*g is forbidden. nothing and nobody and none kills my inner child. all returns to the sender.
    don miguel ruiz - the toltec warrior and the agreements of selfmastery. self control is not malleable not by the foreign forces and not by ridiculous aliens. electro magnetic aura of the living organic light. past present future simultane. i give you impossible. nothing is impossible. Juliet and jiva carter and the world bridger and maha gaia tantra. jai kali ma and the destruction of all malevolent. ssshiasssshakhasskh and the inner earth paralel field rooms.
    the qualities of the mightiness of the lumious inner child which is my master - the dragon tamer - the nameless - the indivisible ² - the immeasurable - the incorruptible. the all embracing love of the luminous inner child. beyond time and space and matter. the invincible luminous inner child. immortal love - immortal cherish. luminous love to prompt the soul.
    I was alone now i am all one. i have a lot of imaginary friends... dragons and leprechauns they are nature bond and detest malevolent technologies... . never suppressed the needs of my inner child. always fullfilled the needs of my inner child. telepathic communication as well with the inner world , feminine and masculine aspects unity. Oneness starts within. the luminous inner child in the adult plays drums on the stage with other musicians. since childhood drum mastery. the luminous inner child means all to me. detestion of religions of mind control and misogyny and anti human and anti life and atrocious deeds with children . the detest of religious books and mind parasites and toxoplasma gondii and ialdabaoth, the lord of the """archons"". the detest of all that outside world seduction and do it yourself old cage and new cage building is not needed.
    boycott of gold and oil and depopulation. boycott of military service. i do not touch a weapon.
    anti tv. anti cars. anti hustle bustle jostle filthy swine party of unsatifiedness. anti - the means justify the purposes. dreamless sleep delta brain waves and the keys to the collective consciousness. and and and.
    know thyself with yourself, your self is the best coach and the world does not get extinct as long as you hike the earth... take examples from others when they rosonate with your feelings and frequencies... quantum resonance and the word.
    they live for others in the distance. they love and heal the others from the distance.
    that is my sentient description of a hyper sensitive human.

    ReplyDelete